Thursday, April 30, 2009

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Moon Called, the first of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson novels, portrays a detailed, well-planned universe in which the the rapidly developing capabilities of forensic science necessitated the outing of the "lesser fae" (fairies and brownies and pixies and their ilk) by their own leaders some twenty years earlier. So the eastern Washington in which Mercy Thompson runs her car repair business resides in a United States in which the supernatural coexists, if not comfortably and amiably, at least somewhat openly side-by-side with the mundane.

Moon Called, however, does not deal with the lesser fae, but rather with the greater fae--werewolves, shape-shifters (Mercy's special talent), and vampires--about which the world at large is still ignorant (if suspicious).

The plot involves kidnapping, drug running, and internecine warfare. And, although Moon Called is certainly an excellent, quite bloody, actioner, it's got more going for it than the action alone. Briggs does an excellent job of building her world, explaining the social intricacies of life among the werewolf packs, the plight of the lone wolf, and the treatment of modern women in these ancient societies. All of the main characters are nicely developed, particularly Mercy Thompson, a likable, smart, talented woman, who knows the rules but doesn't always play by them.

3 comments:

Carmel said...

Hey! Thanks for checking out my blog on today's hop! I have read this book but thanks for the suggestion. I'll check back for more. I'm your latest follower. Happy weekend! :)
Rabid Reads

Rebecca Glenn said...

Yeah, with your extensive urban fantasy list on your site I figured you had...but thought I'd make the suggestion, since you didn't have any reviews posted for her (and, you know, kind of pimp my own review at the same time :)

Blodeuedd said...

Pimping your own review is always good :) I do love Briggs, and I so wanna start 3 and 4, but I am afraid to start until I got book 5, lol