Friday, July 2, 2010

Reading Harry Potter: Part Five, Dispatch From Padric

Padric says:



So, after watching this trailer [the official Warner Bros. trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows], I immediately forgot about all the books I was reading and planning to read, and went searching through my storage unit this afternoon (reminding myself of the closing shots of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Citizen Kane) until, like Bobby Driscoll in Walt Disney's Treasure Island, I found my treasure.  Later tonight,  I cracked open my dog-eared paperback of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on the balcony of my garconierre and watched while several of the colour coded post-its I'd inscribed in the book fell to the floor as I ate my dinner of flank steak grilled in a Bloody Mary marinade  with grilled asparagus and corn on the cob grilled in a chive/sage/thyme compound butter accompanied by sliced heirloom tomatoes garnished with mint and feta cheese, and listened to Over the Rainbow on my Wicked Witch of the West Green Nano and thought of my own personal Holy Trinity of Judy Garland, Julia Child and JK Rowling, and as my mind's eye witnessed Professor McGonagall transform from a tabby cat into a Scottish witch, I felt all was right with the world. 

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I started Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets yesterday morning, but a couple of post-apocalyptic novels I ordered came in, so I'm taking a short break.  It will only be that much sweeter when I come back to it.

No comments: