Saturday, July 17, 2010

Reading Roundup

FINISHED
Look at me--I doubled my review percent for this week over last week.  Go  me!  
  •  Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke, reviewed here.  The short version: it's a sweet, squeaky-clean cozy set in the small, very cold, town of Lake Eden, Minnesota.  If you like your mysteries high on atmosphere (and recipes!) and low on excitement, sex, and bad language, Joanne Fluke's your gal.
  • The Genius by Jesse Kellerman, reviewed here.  The short version: The Genius is an intelligent thriller set in the art world of Manhattan, and is as much a study of identity--professional, personal, familial--as it is a straight-forward serial killer thriller.
  • Tropic of Night by Michael Gruber, not yet reviewed.  How did this book fly under my bookseller radar?  An incredibly complex thriller, a magical realist police procedural, a meditation on cultural relativity.  Captivating!  I'm eagerly awaiting the follow-up, Valley of Bones, which I ordered from Alibris last night.
IN PROGRESS
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets...not much further along than I was last week.  I read a chapter here and there, and it's wonderful...but there are so damned many books out there.
  • The World Without Us by Alan Weisman.  Still plugging away on this one.  Fascinating examination on how the world would change without mankind's stewardship of it.  
  • Adios Scheherazade humor and smut from the late, great Donald E. Westlake.
  • Make Room! Make Room!, the 1966 dystopian novel by Harry Harrison on which the movie Soylent Green was based (I think the book title is ever so much more clever).  Set in the not-too-distant future, the world has become a Malthusian dystopia in which over-population has effectively halted mankind's progress, forcing us to scrounge for everything from food to water to clothing.


ACQUIRED
  • No library sales this week, but I did discover the joys of thrift store thriftiness.  Fifteen books for five bucks at the Salvation Army.  That's 33 cents per book, in case you don't feel like doing the math yourself.
  • This week was a light one for ARCs; I got two: Blind Man's Alley, a thriller due out in August by Justin Peacock, and Think of a Number, by John Verdon, already out and reviewed favorably in the New York Times this week. 




No comments: