Saturday, July 24, 2010

Reading Roundup

FINISHED 
 Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison, reviewed here.  The short version: it's the eve of the new millennium and overpopulation has effectively halted mankind's progress, forcing us to scrounge for food and water, clothing and shelter.  Fossil fuels have long since been used up, rivers and air are polluted almost beyond the ability to support life.  A chilling dystopia from the creator of the Stainless Steel Rat series (I haven't read them...I just love to type that name).


The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett, not yet reviewed.  The short version: The Man Who Loved Books Too Much is true crime set in the obsessive world of rare book collecting.  A juicy tale, well-told, and it makes the book lover's jaw drop in awe and envy.


Think of a Number by John Verdon, reviewed here.  The short version: a serial killer who loves puzzles and is too clever for anybody's good forces retired homicide detective-turned-artist David Gurney back in to the game.  Tight plot, marred by a somewhat rambling narrative; I look forward to see Verdon's inevitable improvement with his second book.

IN PROGRESS




The Insider by Reece Hirsch, a fast-paced legal thriller, written by an attorney, in which a basically good man is dragged--via an offer he can't refuse--into a frightening world of insider trading and organized crime.  So far, an excellent first novel.











Valley of Bones by Michael Gruber, the follow up to Tropic of Night, once again set in Miami and featuring Cuban American detective Jimmy Paz.

ACQUIRED

The Salvation Army book section is going to be the end of me.  Because of it--and, oh yes, because of my own mania--if I don't sell some books soon, I am going to be one of those poor people on Hoarders: Buried Alive whose few remaining loved ones force an intervention in which all of my beloved possessions are pitched into an oversized dumpster.  Total haul (on two separate trips): forty-five books for thirteen dollars  Obviously, too many to enumerate each one here...so how about just my favorites?



First editions of Noah Gordon's first two titles, both in very good condition (particularly The Death Committee, which looks as crisp as if it came off the front table at Borders today).










A thriller by Richard Condon, author of The Manchurian Candidate, this one a fictionalized novel of the JFK assassination.


The first (and only, as far as I know) novel by Kevin Starr, great California historian and, for ten years, California State Librarian.  I absolutely adore the lurid Rich Man, Poor Man-esque cover.


 And this nifty little book which, although the dust jacket is missing and there is quite a bit of pencil scribbling on the endpapers, is a really neat one.  It's a first edition--1956-- of Forbidden Area by Pat Frank, the author of the far more famous Alas, Babylon.

Yes, it was a very good week for books.



4 comments:

EnriqueFreeque said...

45 fo $13? Epic! It is a mania isn't it? (to restate the obvious). You demolished my weekend haul: 36 for $24

Becky: Buried Beneath Books, on the next Oprah.

Rebecca Glenn said...

A very special Oprah?

So, I went on Monday: 30 books for $10.00. Dragged Pete back in on Friday, found 15 more...turns out they were giving 40% off everything in the store and they gave me the discount on top of the 15/$5. Averaged together, that's 28 cents per.

I need to find a retail space, and soon.

PS. Always love the KISS makeup profile pic : )

EnriqueFreeque said...

Thanks! I think the KISS image goes better w/the 'Frique motif. Must keep my image and my content consistent.

I remember enjoying the Stainless Steel Rat way back in my HS days. Only read one of them, though, my only Harrison so far, but I'll be looking for Make Room! for sure.

At the price you're getting for books, the Dollar Bookstore ("every book, a buck") must sound like price gouging to you huh?

I found an old Asimov (writing as Paul French) hc, a Lucky Starr omnibus, cool old school retroish cover, and an old Niven one too. I'm finding I'm grabbing old sci-fi as much, if not more, for the book art than to read.

Um, yes, a special Oprah for you, coming right up, you Full Blown Bibliomaniac! Or maybe a two hour Dateline or 48 Hours.

You might want to consider legally changing your name from "Rebecca" to ... Rebooka.

Rebecca said...

Love the site. Can't wait to read more

becksbookpicks.blogspot.com