Monday, August 2, 2010

A Confession

I'm a chain reader.  I routinely light a new book from the glowing ember of the last one.  Sometimes I still have one dangling out the side of my mouth when I light the next one.  Although this habit does not cause cancer, it's still not a very good practice.  Hell, I already have retention issues (I read kind of fast, and don't necessarily take the care that I should).  Finishing a book should merit a few moments of reflection, some time taken to consider what one has just read, to place it in a greater context, perhaps, to savor it.  It's not a question of satisfaction.  In fact, the more I've enjoyed the book I just finished the faster my hand darts out to snatch up the next one.  


Ah well, I suppose of all the monkeys to have on my back this is a relatively cute and harmless one.

6 comments:

Emma said...

I never used to be a chain reader as you put it, but since blogging I found that it is becoming a habit. Is it a good habit though? Do I just want to get through the book as fast as possible so that I can read the next book on my TBR list, or do I really take in all aspects of the book and enjoy it. I mean whats the point of reading a book, unless its enjoyable? So I am trying to kick the habit. :-)

I am sure there are many chain readers out there and we are not alone!

Emma said...

From one chain reader to another let me just say I know how you feel. I think since blogging I have tended to rush the books that I read and dont seem to have much time to savor and really give the time that the books deserve. There are so many books that I want to read and every week more books are added to my TBR list that it is almost impossble to catch up. I am currently reading 4 books!! This is a first for me and gives me a slight headache just thinking about it. This is what happens when you go on holiday and you need to catch up.

I symphathise with your plight book frog. We bloggers are all enablers :-)

Trying to kick the habit though. lol

Greg Zimmerman said...

I had this same chain-reading problem, until I decided to force myself to wait a day to start a new book - and in the interim, I'll spend 30 minutes or so writing some thoughts on the book. That's a huge help in the retention department, and not only that, but if I want to remember it, I have only to go back to my document - which is now nearly 300 single-spaced typed pages. ;)

Rol said...

I can sympathise. I often find myself speeding through my latest read because I'm dying to get to the next one on the 'To Read' shelf. It's no way to live your reading life...

Rebecca Glenn said...

I should've known this post would generate more interest on my blog (which, as yet, doesn't have a very wide readership) than any other has. We're all in the same boat, aren't we?

Greg, I admire your discipline and resolve. The best I've managed to do to date is to keep a notebook and--when I can tear myself away from the book itself--jot down impressions (and character names and events w/ page numbers) to help me in my reviews.

I think Rol summed it up nicely for me...it's no way to live your reading life.

Sigh.

My name is Becky and I am an addict...

EnriqueFreeque said...

My name is Becky and I am an addict...

Hi, Becky!