Thursday, September 30, 2010

WSJ BOOKS Section Everything They Said It Would Be...Sigh

Several weeks ago I learned that The Wall Street Journal would be adding a book review section.  An honest-to-god, pull out section, six pages, devoted only to book reviews.  Wow!  In this age of dwindling newspaper readership and shrinking--nay, in many cases disappearing--book review sections, what heartening news.

The inaugural "Books" section was in the Saturday/Sunday September 25-26, 2010 edition of the WSJ.  As soon as I got to work on Saturday morning I grabbed my copy, fearing that if I didn't snatch it up right away all the crazed book shoppers would buy us out before I had my chance.  On my lunch hour I eagerly opened it up.  

Now, I had read a number of articles delineating in some detail just what the section would entail: long format pieces focusing on new nonfiction titles, with fewer and much shorter reviews of fiction.  And yet, still I was disappointed.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see any publication--especially a major national one--expanding its books coverage.  It was a terrible blow two years ago when the Los Angeles Times all but eliminated their book coverage.  But somehow, despite my foreknowledge of the nonfiction focus, I somehow thought there'd be more fiction coverage.  I wanted to believe.  

There was a nice review of Michael Cunningham's latest, By Nightfall.  And a review of a short story collection by Danielle Evans.  

And that was it.

 

 

14 comments:

Brad Jaeger said...

Newspaper? What is this "newspaper"?

Can I get it on my Kindle? :p

Rebecca Glenn said...

Just a minute...I think you can get it on your Kindle.

Argh.

Bookangel said...

Newspapers are a dying breed, so it is nice hear that some are providing more coverage. Are they interesting? I always think of the WSJ as boring. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Phantom Paragrapher said...

Hey,
Just following your blog on the book blogger hop, Im a new follower
www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

Tina (Book Couture) said...

Hey! What a great blog you have here! (I just stumbled by via Friday memes).

Please keep it up, I'm a follower of yours for sure. :D

Best Wishes,
●▬▬▬๑۩Tina @ Book Couture۩๑▬▬▬●

Chazz said...

I only buy newspapers when I am job hunting these days.
I have everything else sent to my inbox.

Another following from the blog hop.

Chazz
http://chazzhart.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Hi! I was hopping by looking for your hop answer...

New follower here!

Please post a link on my blog as to where I can find your response!

(sorry if it was glaringly obvious and I missed it)

Check out my Blog Hop, Follow Friday and Giveaway!

joemmama said...

New follower...over from the Hop..thanks for stopping by!

Amanda-The Nutritionist Reviews said...

Sounds interesting!

I just found your blog from a Friday Blog Hop! Have a great weekend : )

Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

Mad Scientist said...

interesting blog you have here.

Mad Scientist
Laboratory found @
madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

Beth said...

I'm your newest follower from Following Friday! You can find me at

http://bethscoupondeals.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth said...

Back for a visit....just hopping by.

Stop by my blog if you like:

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

bibliophiliac said...

I'm glad I found your blog on the book blog hop--I just became a follower. Congrats on your job as a bookseller. I was a bookseller on and off for years, and loved it. Now I am a high school English teacher with a book blog!

TheBookGirl said...

That's disappointing...it did get so much hype, thought it would be more than that :(