Thursday, October 7, 2010

Nobel Prize Winner Announced

 
Peruvian Mario Vargas Llosa, who came up during the great boom of Latin American literature in the sixties and seventies, has won the Nobel Prize in Literature.  The New York Times says, "Announcing the award in Stockholm, the Swedish Academy praised Mr. Vargas Llosa 'for his cartography of the structures of power and his trenchant images of the individual’s resistance, revolt and defeat.'”  I say, at least he writes a damn good story...and at least he's from the New World (although he is a naturalized Spanish citizen).  According to Shelf Awareness, Vargas Llosa was a longshot to win, with odds listed at 25-1.

Vargas Llosa has had a prolific career as a writer (and as a would-be politician; he ran for, and lost, the Peruvian presidency in 1990).  Of his more than thirty novels, plays, and other works, my favorite is the delightful Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter.  Of the writer's often colorful life, USA Today tells us, "The writer is also famous for having punched his former friend and now fellow Nobel Prize Laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez in 1976 for reasons neither man has ever revealed."

Vargas Llosa is about to embark on a semester teaching at Princeton University.  Lucky Princeton! 

13 comments:

EnriqueFreeque said...

An actual writer I've heard of and whose books I own (but haven't read ... shameful). Is Feast of the Goat any good; I've got a 1st of it, hear it mentioned a lot in best of lists.

Inspired Kathy said...

I'm already a follower just stopping by to say hi.
Hope you'll stop by and enter one of my many giveaways or sign up to join the Spooktacular Blog Hop or Gratitude Giveaways Hop.

Have a great weekend!
~Inspired Kathy
I Am A Reader, Not a Writer

stargazerpuj said...

Aunt Julia is my favourite as well... Have a few more of his works on my TBR pile.

GREYZ said...

Droppin' by via the hop. My beverage of choice is water or a glass of juice, depends on what's colder. Lol. Anyway, if you have the time, drop by Cladestine Sanctuary

I also became a new follower. :)

GREYZ said...

Droppin' by via the hop. My beverage of choice is water or a glass of juice, depends on what's colder. Lol. Anyway, if you have the time, drop by Cladestine Sanctuary

I also became a new follower. :)

Rebecca Glenn said...

I haven't read Feast of the Goat...I read Vargas Llosa--and quite a few other Latin Boom authors--way back in the eighties and early nineties, long before that one was published. I think his work has grown more and more political as he has gotten older (Aunt Julia is whimsical and sweet...and perhaps just a little political).

4IQREAD said...

Hopping by to say hello. I drink lots of coffee, and love to read historical fiction. My review are primarily children's books. Have a great weekend.

brandileigh2003 said...

Just hopping by to say hello! I am following and can’t wait to read more from your blog. Here is my Follow Friday post it also features the giveaways I am currently hosting on my blog!

Anne Bennett said...

This is my first time stopping by on the Follow Friday. Actually it is my first Follow Friday, too. I am a new follower because I like your writing style and the variety that you bring to the book blogging world.

-Anne
Headdfullofbooks

Tiger Holland said...

Hopping by to visit and follow! I haven't read Vargas Llosa, but I have read Marquez, and I love his work (I still haven't read a short story that could beat A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings).

Happy Friday!

http://tigersallconsumingbooks.blogspot.com

Miss Page-Turner said...

hey I am following you now:) Thanks for visiting and for mentioning China Mievelle's Perdido Street Station and The Scar! The only book I've read of this genre so far might be Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, so I was clueless what to start the challenge with until your recommendation:)

Susan said...

Glad to have found you via the Hop. Looks like we read really different books - I'm looking forward to getting some great recommendations from you to help me expand my literary horizons. Have a great weekend!

angelatarantula said...

Hey there!!(: I'm a new follower from the hop.
I would appreciate it if you stopped by my blog!
Angela Z
http://thebookbuzzer.blogspot.com