Tuesday, November 2, 2010

New Release Tuesday

The holiday publishing season continues apace, and today sees a nice mix of titles released.

Among the new releases in fiction are titles from Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, Dennis Lehane, Jeffery Deaver (who we just learned today has been selected to write the next Bond novel, due out next May), and both Nora Roberts and J.D.Robb. 

 Brandon Sanderson, selected by Robert Jordan's widow to finish (read: continue?) the great fantasist's work brings us his second collaboration on the Wheel of Time series (after last year's The Gathering Storm). The first customer to walk in our doors this morning was a late teens/early twenties fellow who grabbed a copy of Towers of Midnight from the front table and beelined it to a comfy chair, where he read steadily from ten a.m. until two p.m., at which time he made his purchase and left. I guess it passed his screening test. John Ottinger III, reviewing the book on the blog Grasping For the Wind considers it to be a transitional work, as Sanderson takes the reins firmly from Jordan's hands, "working with more notes and less written scenes from what Jordan left him." While it's not the best in the series, he notes, it's not the worst, either.




 It has been twelve years since Lehane has published a book starring popular duo Kenzie and Gennaro. Anticipation has been high, but reviews have been mixed. Writing in the L.A. Times, Sarah Weinman says,  "...Moonlight Mile is akin to that 10th-anniversary school reunion: old acquaintances to catch up with, old enemies to ignore or reevaluate, and lots of alcohol served up at the cash bar across the room. After the festivities end, it's time to get on with the business of day-to-day adulthood — and for Lehane to continue the forward motion promised by his most recent, more ambitious works." But Cahir O'Doherty, writing in the Irish Voice, thinks that "Sometimes a book’s sequel completely surpasses the original." Wow. I just received my ARC in the mail today, and am really looking forward to reading Moonlight Mile.
 


How does the woman do it? Nora Roberts publishes two books in one day. Happily Ever After, a paperback original published under her own name, and, as J.D.Robb, Indulgence in Death

 Jeffery Deaver writes a taut, exciting psychological thriller, and Edge looks to be no exception. Thomas, blogging at Crime and Publishing says, "Filled with suspense and action, Edge is another competent and assured thriller from Deaver and certainly whets the appetite in advance of his next book, the highly anticipated new James Bond novel, to be published in the UK on the anniversary of Ian Fleming’s birthday, the 28th May 2011."
I have to admit, I know nothing of Ken Harmon or his new book The Fat Man, a Tale of North Pole Noir. But look at that cover...and what a great title.












And because Dan Brown doesn't have enough of our money yet, today he releases a special, super-duper illustrated edition of The Lost Symbol. As you are probably already aware, only super important authors get to release super-duper illustrated editions of their books.







New biographies and memoirs abound once again this week. Here are just a few:




 And finally, a smattering of the humorous, the quirky, and the just plain weird. I'll leave it to you to sort out which is which.




Was there a new release this week that you were particularly happy to see? Have you read any of them yet? Do you think Dan Brown is rich enough? 


9 comments:

Grasping for the Wind said...

Hey Becky! Thanks so much for using my review for this post. Much appreciated. Feel free to link me anytime!

TheBookGirl said...

I am in the middle of Pat Conroy's new book and am loving it :)

I agree that the cover for the Ken Harmon book is enough to make me want it!

Rebecca Glenn said...

Oh, you must let me know when you review the Conroy! I've read some mixed reviews of it, but I'm always interested in what a writer reads (and I like his work in general).

Sam said...

One day I'll read the whole Wheel of Time series (or at least what is published so far). I got to number 6 last time, and then gave up.

Rebecca Glenn said...

Sam, you're six up on me. I admire Robert Jordan's vision, but I'm not terribly interested in his brand of swords-and-horses fantasy, preferring mine a bit more urban and contemporary.

Blodeuedd said...

I got Towers today and I am already drooling all over it :)

Kathy Martin said...

I just got the two new ones by Nora Roberts. I was also excited for Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee and Play of Passion by Nalini Singh. There were lots of great new books this week. Happy reading!

Nikki-ann said...

Oh, is that a Ricky Martin autobiography I spy?!

The Fat Man, a Tale of North Pole Noir sounds like it could be a fun read! :)

P.S. - I found your link on GoodReads.

Tiffany said...

I would love to read Nora Roberts new book! Thanks for posting this! I am following.. found you via follow friday!
http://acozyreaderscorner.blogspot.com