Saturday, January 8, 2011

Reading Roundup

READ

Elvis Cole and Joe Pike take on the case of a missing woman, and find a whole lot more. So do readers, who are treated to a big chunk of Pike's backstory giving some serious insight into his character. L.A. Requiem is reviewed here.







They don't glitter in the sunshine. They don't wear capes or ruffled shirts. They're just like you and me, except for one little thing: they're vampires. All they want is to live the middle class dream...if it weren't for this pesky blood craving thing. 

The Radleys is a tasty treat and a worthy addition to the vampire canon. Read the review here.




READING

There is far, far too much on my reading plate at the moment. I keep starting books, as if I had no self control whatsoever.

My lunchtime reading at work:

 My reading at home:



ACQUIRED




Is she really excited about obtaining a copy of Love Story, for heaven's sake? Yes! It's a beautiful little first edition and a sweet story.

What did you read this week? What did you review? What other book-related things did you write about? Link up your favorite or best post of the week below, and make my readers your readers.



9 comments:

Penelope Lolohea said...

Thanks for the link-up! I see that you're reading The Emperor of all Maladies. What do you think of it? My son has cancer, and I've been interested in reading some of the history behind it.

Rebecca Glenn said...

Hey Penelope--

The Emperor of All Maladies is really good so far (tho' I'm not very far into it). The author does a nice job of interspersing history and case studies (and making them very human, rather than clinical).

I'm sorry about your son, and hope his prognosis is a good one.

Becky

Penelope Lolohea said...

Oh, good! I was worried that I would start it, and find a bunch of clinical facts, and not much else. I think I'm going to start reading it soon.

My son's prognosis is very good right now. We've been very blessed throughout this whole ordeal, and it doesn't look like there will be any major problems (aside from the main one). :)

Penelope Lolohea said...

Oh, good! I was worried that I would start it, and find a bunch of clinical facts, and not much else. I think I'm going to start reading it soon.

My son's prognosis is very good right now. We've been very blessed throughout this whole ordeal, and it doesn't look like there will be any major problems (aside from the main one). :)

TheBookGirl said...

I totally understand you picking up a copy of Love Story :) It was an early read of mine in high school, and that old cover brought back great memories!

Lazy Girl said...

Very cool!! Looks like you've got some awesome reads there :-] I'm your newest follower!

xo,
Lah

Cara Lopez Lee said...

I just saw the Coen brothers film version of "True Grit." The brilliant script shone through and left me stunned. So, knowing that the film hewed closely to the novel, I wish I had read it first. I'll look forward to your take on the book.

EnriqueFreeque said...

Great acquisitions. That Wodehouse on Crime isn't easy to come by. I too lucked into a copy not too long ago. I'm also very curious about The Emperor of all Maladies. For a non-fiction tome, I suspect it doesn't get anymore compelling than that. Never read any of the Gary Shyn(don't know how to spell last name from memory :( )but he seems funny and satirical; I'll look forward to your take on it. I've got my self a movie-tie in mass mrkt pb of Love Story. Belongs in everybody's library -- even in dude's libraries. That first could be worth something for you.

Kristin said...

Love your blog! Stop by mine and say hi if you get a chance!
Kristin
MyBookishWays