Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New Release Tuesday

MEMOIR

 Ouch! New York Times book critic Michiko Kakutani calls Mr. Rumsfeld's memoir "tedious" and "self-serving," and says the prose is "flat-footed" and the tone "smug" and "know-it-all." Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Gwen Ifill in the Washington Post says that "at its heart, it is a revenge memoir." 

I'll pass.






CELEBRITY SELF HELP



Janet Jackson's book is all about self esteem (and diet). JWoww, of "Jersey Shore" [in]fame[y] gives us her rules. I think the subtitle probably says it all, but I'm not sure because, although I understand the words they don't actually make any sense to me: Shore-Tested Secrets on Landing a Mint Guy, Staying Fresh to Death, and Kicking the Competition to the Curb.

MYSTERY/THRILLER/HORROR



Both Alex Berenson's Secret Soldier and Noah Boyd's Agent X are spy thrillers.  A Red Herring Without Mustard is the third mystery by Alan Bradley featuring precocious pre-teen chemist and wannabe poisoner Flavia de Luce. The first two were certainly delightful. And finally, A Discovery of Witches, to which EW assigned a grade of B+ and said, "By the most satisfying end, Harkness had made me a believer." Yup, looks juicy to me.

Reviewed any good (or not so good) books lately? Link up your review here.



3 comments:

Vampires and Tofu said...

A Discovery of Witches sounds awesome, but PLEASE....someone....stop letting the Jersey Shore cast have their names on books....

Rebecca Glenn said...

What? You don't think Snookie is the great American novelist?

And feel my pain: we're having JWoww for a signing next week and literally have hundreds of copies of the book in the store.

Sigh.

Should be a lot of big hair that day.

EnriqueFreeque said...

I've no interest either in reading Rumsfeld's memoir, but I can't help feeling a rather smug expression don my countenance hearing Queen Michiko (sp?) refer to somebody else as "smug" and "know-it-all". She should read what Freud had to say about "projection".