Saturday, February 12, 2011

Reading Roundup

READ

An interesting thriller, now somewhat dated but still fascinating and, in many ways vital, The Passion of Molly T. follows the rise of a national feminist organization and its militant adjunct in the 1980s. Though Mr. Sanders doesn't have the best grasp of the inner workings of women, he does present a fascinating view of politics and its day-to-day corrupting influence.  Plus, as always, his action is top-notch. Read the full review here.
It could be said that Trevanian's The Loo Sanction is dated as well, with its mod, swinging London, beautiful people, sex clubs, and often groovy language. But Trevanian's second send-up of the action/espionage thriller is a cut above. It stands the test of time, and deserves--with the rest of his work--to be read and appreciated by a new generation of readers. My review is here.
Isabel Dalhousie is a forty-something woman who lives in Edinburgh and edits a philosophical journal. As this, her first outing, begins, Isabel witnesses a young man plummeting to his death from the nosebleed seats--known, quite poetically, as the gods--at Usher Hall, where she's been to see the Reykjavik Symphony. Disturbed and haunted by what she's witnessed, she sets out to how and why this could have happened. The Sunday Philosophy Club is a lovely, thoughtful, slow moving mystery, concerned with musings on ethics, what drives people, and the inner workings of its characters minds.


READING

Journal of a UFO Investigator is the coming of age story of a teenager in Philadelphia in the early sixties. Danny Shapiro has a dying mother and an over active imagination. So far, an eloquent, often funny, story of growing up different.








BOOKS THAT FOLLOWED ME HOME






Am I on a quest to acquire books by every once popular, now unfashionable writer of mysteries and thrillers there is? Perhaps. (Kate Atkinson doesn't fit into that category, of course...but Mrs. Pollifax? Really? I remember when there was a whole shelf of Dorothy Gilman in the bookstore. Mind you, I also remember walking three miles, up hill in both directions, through blizzards and hurricanes, to get to school, so my memory might not be the most reliable.)

What did you read this week? What books followed you home? What did you write about? Link your favorite or best book-related post below.




3 comments:

EnriqueFreeque said...

You know, Lawrence Sanders is in some good company, because I've been married over 13 years, have two daughters, and I'm still not positive that I've grasped the inner workings of women! But I get what you're saying.

Wish I had a post to link for you. Can say I'm reading Denis Johnson's debut, Angels, and enjoying it immensely. He's quickly becoming a top 10 favorite writer for me all time.

Got the opportunity to meet the owner of Gatsby Books this week, where I obtained Angels & Baker's debut as well, The Mezzanine. Good smart bookish guy, Sean. It's well worth the trip getting over there.

Deborah said...

Talking of neglected writers of detective fiction, have you read any Francis Iles? Before the Fact and Malice Aforethought, written in the 1930s are still brilliant.

Rebecca Glenn said...

EF--I'm convinced. Next time Pete and I have a day off together, I'm going to make the trek to LB and visit Gatsby.

I haven't read any Denis Johnson, although I did start his big fat Vietnam novel, the one that came out a couple of years ago. It was really good...but I never finished it. And Nicholson Baker's an odd duck, isn't he? The Mezzanine is weird and wonderful. I have a bunch of his other books, and have read U & I, but no others.

Deborah--thanks for the Francis Iles tip. I love that Golden Age of Detective Fiction stuff! I looked him up on LibraryThing, and it looks like he was quite prolific.