Friday, February 4, 2011

Resolutions Revisited

Just over a month ago I committed to print my Reader's Resolutions. I thought that now, a twelfth of the way into the year, it might be good to revisit them.

READER'S RESOLUTIONS
  • Read more books. I'm not sure. This year, I'm keeping count...but I've never done that before. For those who are interested, I'm at twelve for the year.
  • Read more carefully. Well, I'm trying.
  • Read outside my comfort zone--that is to say, read a little nonfiction--at least once a month. Okay, once a quarter. Ah, a difficult one for me. I have completed one nonfiction book, Patti Smith's memoir Just Kids. I've also started an placed on the back burner four other nonfiction titles.
  • Share the reading experience whenever possible.This may be the most difficult resolution of all for this lifelong introvert. I've joined not one, not two, but three different book-related groups online. I lurk a lot, but I'm not very good at being an active member.
  • Press more books upon people. I do this at work all the time, but I don't think I've exactly pressed more books than usual.
  • Write more reviews. Done! I've reviewed every title I've read so far this year, and threw in one from last year to boot. 
In the spirit of sharing the reading experience whenever possible, I'd like to remind everybody that Friday is #fridayreads on Twitter (and on Facebook as well.) Tweet whatever you're reading using the #fridayreads hashtag, then check out what everybody else is reading. It's glorious to see!
 


3 comments:

Keith Schoch said...

I'm your newest follower! Hopping by to check in; visit in turn if you can.

The book I'm pushing is Fatty Legs, a terrific story of a girl's unbroken spirit in the face of hostility and alienation.

You can read my review of it here:
http://teachwithpicturebooks.blogspot.com/2011/02/fatty-legs-true-story.html

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I don't really press books on people very much. I should do more of that.

I'm bloghopping today, seeing what people are currently reading, befriending new blogs. I'm reading a children's book from New Zealand called Under the Mountain that is on the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read list. Excellent.

And I am your newest follower! Hope you will stop by my blog and say hello!

Ruth @ Bookish Ruth said...

I also went back and revisited my reading resolutions for this year a few days ago. I think it's good to figure out what's working and what isn't and what I need to focus on more. Like you, I'm an incredibly shy person so the blogosphere can be an uncomfortable place for me at times. It's definitely helped me come out of my shell a bit, though!