Thursday, March 17, 2011

Overheard in the Bookstore

Customer (on the phone): Do you have The Vampire Diaries: Midnight? It came out yesterday.

Bookseller: Let me check. (Looks it up in the computer.) No, I'm sorry, we haven't gotten our stock of that title yet. (Checks the status of the title at other stores.) Our other stores in the area haven't received it yet either.

Customer: But it came out yesterday. It says the release date is March 15th on your website.

Bookseller: That's true.  Unfortunately it hasn't been shipped to us yet. I'm really sorry about that.

Customer: But it came out yesterday. Why don't you have it?

Now, folks, I'm trying to be very circumspect with my customers on the subject of why we don't have new titles. I want the stuff, my store looks terrible when we're missing new releases, and, well, it's just embarrassing.

Bookseller: Um, some of our vendors aren't shipping in as timely a fashion as we'd like since our company filed for Chapter 11 last month. I am truly sorry, but we just don't get some of the new releases when they come out.

Customer: This book came out yesterday, I don't understand why you don't have it.

Is she really going to make me say it outright, in so many words? I think she is, but I'll give it one more try.

Bookseller: I know. I don't really get it either, but I truly am sorry because I want you to get your book, and, to be honest, I want to have it to sell.

Customer: You never have anything new anymore. Why not?

Bookseller (deep metaphorical breath): Once again, I'm sorry. But here's the deal: The company isn't paying its bill and the vendors aren't shipping product to us. I'm sorry, it's embarrassing to me, but there's not a thing I can do about it. 

Customer: That's why I don't like to come to your store. Your staff is always so rude.

Click.

10 comments:

Sniffly Kitty said...

Really? I hear your frustration >.< I would like to smack the customer for her comments and inability to process what has been said to her.

Gluck >.<

Sniffly Kitty
Sniffly Kitty's Mostly Books

Evie said...

Hahah, wow, some people are seriously pushing it. The book seller has my respect for being so patient and polite. It would suck to deal with costumers like that!

V. Furnas said...

Oh man, I worked retail for 7 years and hated it just because of customers like that one. Ouch!

Jennifer O. said...

I'd have a hard time not smacking her over the head w a hardcover.

EnriqueFreeque said...

I truly LOL'd, that's just too classic.

EnriqueFreeque said...

Truly LOL! That's just too classic (in a sickening, but makes for a great story way).

Karen said...

Here from the hop.
LOL. I get why she's upset but the book is not there. What exactly does she not understand??

Barb said...

It makes for a funny story, but sadly it's your reality. I'm sorry that you have to deal with morons like that. Not everyone can have an IQ in the positives :)

Alison said...

Ha Ha Ha!!! Don't you love working in customer service. You should submit that to notalwaysright.com

J.G. said...

"And so are the customers." (Get it, lady?)

Snarkiness aside, this is so painful. I hope the store gets back on track so you don't have to answer this question anymore.