Thursday, April 14, 2011

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry

Patient Zero: A Joe Ledger Novel
Joe Ledger has some really rough patches in his past. You could say he has some scars on his psyche. He's kind of dealt with those psychic scars by becoming a bit of a badass. Okay, he's become the biggest and best badass there is. Good thing he's on the side of the angels, huh?

As Patient Zero opens, Joe is being forcibly recruited by a super-secret government agency called the DMS--the Department of Military Sciences. Run by a mysterious and apparently uber-powerful man called, usually, Mr. Church (a bigger badass, even, than Joe Ledger), the DMS is on the trail of the most horrifying terrorist plot never imagined: biological warfare in the form of a prion disease that creates perfect killing machines out of its victims. 

Yes, zombies.

Patient Zero is more military/action thriller than horror novel, although the horror is pretty awesome (and gruesome). The action, though...the action is top-notch and unrelenting. The fast-paced narrative alternates between Joe Ledger's first person narrative, replete with many no-holds-barred battles, and third person narratives from the terrorists' perspective. More than once, after particularly disturbing terrorist chapters, I found myself muttering warnings to Ledger and the DMS through gritted teeth. That's effective storytelling.

6 comments:

Marce said...

Oh my wanting to shout at the characters, love that. Great review adding to Wishlist.

Have a great weekend.

Jules (The Great, The Good and The Bad) said...

I read this and I thought that it was good but not great. I think my husband enjoyed it a lot more than me.

Jules

Sarah said...

This book sounds kick-ass. Adding it to my TBR list now! Thanks!

*New Follower* (stopped by from Follow Friday)

-Sarah @ Inklings Read.

So many books, so little time said...

I LOVED patient Zero! Finally a book (loves zombie movies too!) that gives you a why and a how. I thought it was great although someone else I know thought it was pretty crap but he isn't a huge zombie fan.

FF, your newest follower. I think this is my second week and I am slowly getting the hang of it :D

Lainy

http://smbslt.blogspot.com/

Scathing said...

Great post Rebecca! This looks SOOOO creepy!
I adore your bookish blog and have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award: http://scathingweekly.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html
I'm not sure if you accept awards, but I really felt that The Book Frog deserved this.

Purple Froggie Clay Stuff said...

Congrats.. I've awarded you with The Versatile Blogger Award...

http://thepurplefroggieclaystuff.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

Have a great day!

Cindy