Thursday, July 21, 2011

Liquidation Diary: D-Day Minus One, Morning

My day officially begins in forty minutes. I did some stretching. I took some cleansing breaths. I had a hearty breakfast of oatmeal and a smoothie. But will I be ready?

Yesterday, the second day after the official announcement, two days before the start of liquidation, was one of the most harrowing days I've ever worked. It was as busy as Christmas, but with no computers (and no joy). Oh yeah--we were cut off from our title look up resources before the process even began. The phone ringing nonstop, and always with those same few questions on the other end. Toward the end of the day, after I got off the phone with the nicest woman in the world, with whom I spent more than five minutes discussing, dissecting, and bemoaning the situation, I realized that almost every customer I encountered had been simply lovely all day. How is it possible that I felt worse after that realization?

Ah well, into the trenches I go. More questions, more endless lines, and today I get to take off all the Borders sale stickers.
 

No comments: