Monday, July 25, 2011

Liquidation Diary: You Pay, I Pay

You do what you have to do to survive. For most of us, in a work situation, that means simply adapting the way we normally work to the needs of the new regime. Our new regime does things a lot differently than our old regime, but I've adapted. After just four days I can merchandise to make a liquidator's heart sing. It hurts, but I can do it. 

I've become master of the "You Pay" sign. These signs, which are, let's face it, just plain tacky, are the favorite merchandising tool of the liquidator. I hate them. But I nod, and smile, and hop to it when Duke--Duke's our liquidator--shares with me the fine points of creating and placing "You Pays," then asks me to get on it.

I feel like the trustee in a prison film. Yeah boss, you got it boss. 

I remember when I used to be a bookseller.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I work at Borders in St. Louis and totally feel your pain. Your last sentence puts a knot in my stomach. We are no longer booksellers. More like cattle herders. And the cattle are mouthy, rude and completely inconsiderate.
I hope that for all of us the years of helping customers and the joy of being booksellers will outweigh these very tiring weeks.