Monday, July 4, 2011

New Release Tuesday, 5 July 2011

FICTION

Chevy Stevens releases her second thriller, Never Knowing. I was somewhat underwhelmed by her first, Still Missing (reviewed here), but hold out hope that she has worked at the study and honing of her craft since its release. And the always reliable Tess Gerritsen has produced her 9th Rizzoli and Isles, The Silent Girl.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of Diana Gabaldon's beloved historical/time travel/romance novel, Outlander, and Random House has come up with a suitably lovely new edition (with a fancy bound-in ribbon bookmark) for her devoted fans.


Fourteen years after her novel Push, Sapphire follows up with The Kid, the story of Precious's son, now an orphan. In a New York Times review headlined "He’s a Vessel Overflowing With Rage (And He’s the Orphan Son of Precious)," Michiko Kakutani says of the character of Abdul that he "remains such a confused, incoherent and oddly generic character, it’s hard to care much about his trajectory in the first place, and because he seems to achieve little self-knowledge, it’s harder still to feel any sense of emotional evolution." 

And finally, Escape, a nice, character-driven fiction from Barbara Delinsky, and French Lessons (reviewed here), full of sexy people, sexy scenery, and even a little bit of sexy sex.

YOUNG ADULT
Here, just a smattering of the YA out this week. Sara Shepard is, of course, the author of the Pretty Little Liars novels, of which this week's Twisted is the 9th. Lost Voices, I brilliantly surmise from the cover, is about mermaids, while Sirensong, though its title might imply mermaids, is about fairies. Or perhaps I should write faeries...


NONFICTION




Kirkus Reviews calls Writing Movies For Fun and Profit "A hilarious and helpful insider’s guide to launching a successful writing career in Hollywood" and "the only compass readers will ever need to navigate the treacherous waters of filmmaking." Well all right then. I'm sold.

Have you reviewed a recent or upcoming release? Link it up here. (As always, I'm particularly deficient in the area of nonfiction releases, so could really use some help to beef that up.)


3 comments:

Jennifer O. said...

I'll be reading and reviewing The Kid for Blogher. I read Push over ten years ago, and what I remember most about the novel was how devastating it was. I still can't bring myself to see the movie.

Jennifer O. said...

I'll be reading and reviewing The Kid for Blogher. I read Push over ten years ago, and what I remember most about the novel was how devastating it was. I still can't bring myself to see the movie.

Donna said...

I can't believe it's been 20 years since I first read The Outlander. Wow! Donna