Saturday, July 9, 2011

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

 
Since we began our bookstore odyssey way back in February I've been wanting to chronicle it here on its namesake blog. But I held back, for two reasons.
 
First, I knew that just because it's endlessly interesting to me, being the culmination of a life's worth of dreaming, that wouldn't make the incessant ups and downs interesting to readers.
 
The other reason sprung from a deeper, more primitive place, a place where belief in jinxes and bad luck lurks. Somewhere, deep down, I feared that if we crowed about the good things as they happened it would come back to bite us in the ass, and sooner rather than later.
 
And so I held off writing about our baby until it seemed that the birthing was imminent.
 
But that Lady Luck, she's a bitch. Seems she got wind of our hopes and dreams of excellent lease terms and decided to smite us down with a vengeance. We got the revised LOI back from the landlord yesterday. They accepted not a single one of the revisions Janet had proposed.
 
So now we're faced with a dilemma. Do we accept the landlord's terms? Do we head out and start the process anew elsewhere? Or do we throw away a dream and a giant fistful of invested money and time and say fuck it all? We're tempted to go with option number two, although that would defer the dream a bit.

Oh dear.

5 comments:

karen! said...

ugh. Best of luck figuring out what to do.

Shawn said...

Do Not give in to Your dream!!! Take it elsewhere, think of it this way, You've already got the investment - that's 99% of what kills most people's dreams right out the gate. Find another place, I'm sure there are many in this market. Maybe landlord's in the previous area can be stringent, I'll bet there's a lot of others elsewhere that can't afford that MO.

Shawn said...

Do Not give in to Your dream!!! Take it elsewhere, think of it this way, You've already got the investment - that's 99% of what kills most people's dreams right out the gate. Find another place, I'm sure there are many in this market. Maybe landlord's in the previous area can be stringent, I'll bet there's a lot of others elsewhere that can't afford that MO.

Rebecca Glenn said...

Thanks, Shawn. We were feeling a bit of despair yesterday when I posted this...but we're a bit more upbeat today. We do have a vision, after all. (This is where crap like The Secret could be helpful, if one were to subscribe to those ways of looking at things...)

Jennifer O. said...

I'm crossing my fingers for your. I hope things work out for the best!