Since we began our bookstore odyssey way back in February I've been wanting to chronicle it here on its namesake blog. But I held back, for two reasons.
First, I knew that just because it's endlessly interesting to me, being the culmination of a life's worth of dreaming, that wouldn't make the incessant ups and downs interesting to readers.
The other reason sprung from a deeper, more primitive place, a place where belief in jinxes and bad luck lurks. Somewhere, deep down, I feared that if we crowed about the good things as they happened it would come back to bite us in the ass, and sooner rather than later.
And so I held off writing about our baby until it seemed that the birthing was imminent.
But that Lady Luck, she's a bitch. Seems she got wind of our hopes and dreams of excellent lease terms and decided to smite us down with a vengeance. We got the revised LOI back from the landlord yesterday. They accepted not a single one of the revisions Janet had proposed.
So now we're faced with a dilemma. Do we accept the landlord's terms? Do we head out and start the process anew elsewhere? Or do we throw away a dream and a giant fistful of invested money and time and say fuck it all? We're tempted to go with option number two, although that would defer the dream a bit.