Thursday, September 1, 2011

Liquidation Diary: Final Days

We got the word yesterday. We knew it was coming, we just didn't expect it to be so soon and so all-at-once.

Our last day is actually twelve days hence; the sign is designed to instill a sense of urgency in the customer, to make him buy more, more, more.

It's working. There are entire sections of the store that have been reduce from ten or fifteen shelves down to two or three. Those sections have been cleared out and relocated, leaving acres of real estate in the store empty. 




And yet, people are still surprised to learn that we don't have the dictionary they want (or any dictionary, for that matter).

4 comments:

Jacki said...

Our last day will be arriving soon, too. Last I heard, we still have two weeks, but I don't always trust that. Good luck with the final days and we are thinking of all of you!

Layla said...

I drove past my local store today with its huge CLOSING banner. Somehow, partly because of your blog, I'm just not feeling the urge to go in even to see what great deals are to be had. Perhaps it's the same basic emotion that makes me look away when traffic is crawling so everyone can gawk at an accident. I just can't look.

Rebecca Glenn said...

Likewise!

Rebecca Glenn said...

Thanks, Layla. Here's how I feel about the deals: if you have the time and love a bargain, do it. If you have the money to buy the books you want at full price (or ordinary everyday discount), skip it. You have to have tons of time to find what you want anyway, as nothing's in any order anymore...