The Book Frog timeline, quick and dirty:
- February 16, 2011: Borders files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and announces it's closing 200 stores. We learn that Pete's store will be among the 200. We immediately start talking about opening our own bookstore.
- April 15th: an angel from heaven walks into Pete's store on its last day of business and offers up a substantial loan to make the store a reality.
- April 16th-July 17th: we work, make plans, scam fixtures, and chase the money.
- July 18th: Borders announces that it ain't gonna happen, and it will close all remaining stores.
- July 19th-September 9th: we work, make plans, buy inventory at liquidation, chase the money.
- September 10th and 11th: we buy out the remaining inventory at Borders stores 599 and 86, ending the weekend with a garage full of books.
- September 12th-26th: We work, buy lots of stuff, chase the lease.
- September 27th-30th: In preparation--we hope--of at last signing the lease, Pete, Jackie, and I move fixtures from the overfull space to a storage space in the bowels of the mall (actually, it's in the old Saks Fifth Avenue space, so although it's dark and dusty there's lots of marble, brass, and rich wood). We take the space from this
- October 3rd: The lease is signed!
- Which brings us, at last, to today. Today--ah, today!--the painters started work. Ladders, scaffolds, much patching and taping and laying of drop cloths. Tomorrow: the paint.
It's on. There's no more hurry-up-and-wait; it's all hurry up now. Stay tuned, because this isn't a dream, this is really happening.