Wednesday, June 6, 2012

BEA: Day One Over And Out

Listen, my darlings, and learn from my mistakes.

First: if they offer you a handy little event planner, it's probably for a reason and you should use it. I spent as much time today freaking out about where stuff was and how I'd see it all as I did actually seeing it.

Next: make appointments. You're much more likely to a) get noticed in a crowded booth and b) get some quality time with the reps if they're expecting you.

Last: make a plan for transporting your loot. The shipping service at the expo charges a $37 handling fee, in addition to the actual cost of shipping.

These things said, I had an awesome first day. Here's my favorite ARC:

4 comments:

Jacki said...

I envy you!!! Wendy Sheanin from S&S always sends me a note about BEA, hoping she'll find me there one day, but, alas, I can't afford it. I'm so glad that you are able to attend; your posts make me feel as if I'm there.

EnriqueFreeque said...

Check you out, Traveler! Forgive my ignorance, but what is the BEA? Obviously something about books and authors -- an author/book convention? Good for you! Just catching up with your recent posts.

Rebecca Glenn said...

Yes!BEA is Book Expo America. Three days at the Javits Convention Center in NY (they last did it in L.A. in '03 or '04, I think). ALL the publishers, vendors of gifts and sidelines, lots of authors...it was overwhelming but awesome. Yesterday morning the Author Breakfast panel was Michael Chabon, Zadie Smith, and J.R. Moehringer. Pretty fabulous.

Rebecca Glenn said...

Hey Jacki! You will love it...especially since, having drunk in my wisdom and learned from my mistakes you'll plan your days properly. Save your money--it really, really is well worth the trip. (But if you have to wait a few years, they're at the Javits until 2016, I think they said. So who knows--maybe Seattle will be next.)